What does the dental implant procedure entail in Atlanta, GA?
Dental implant placement usually involves one a single surgical procedure, during which the implant is placed into the jawbone. While the implant is healing we wait for the bone to grow up against the surface of the implant to provide long term stability. Sometimes, a bone graft or a gum graft procedure is necessary to ensure that an implant can be placed safely and predictably. These related procedures can occur either before, during, or after your implant is placed depending on each patient’s individual needs. Once your implant has healed, a crown is then fabricated by your general dentist or prosthodontist in order to replace your missing tooth.
If you are missing a tooth or multiple teeth, then dental implants may be the right replacement choice for you.
A dental implant is a prosthetic tooth replacement that replaces both the root and crown of your missing tooth or teeth.
There are three parts to a dental implant:
- The implant itself is a small titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jawbone and acts as a replacement for your missing tooth root.
- Once the implant has fully healed, another small post called an abutment is attached to the top of the implant by your restorative dentist. The abutment is what serves as a stable connector between the implant and the crown.
- The crown connects to the top of the abutment and is custom created to fit in your mouth just like a natural tooth.
Whether teeth have been lost due to periodontal disease, cavities, injury, or any other reason, dental implants are an ideal tooth replacement solution.
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
If you have lost a tooth or multiple teeth, dental implants may be a great choice for you. During your initial consultation, the doctors at Oral Surgery Specialists of Atlanta will perform a thorough oral exam and review of your medical and dental history. Additional X-rays may be taken, including 3D CT scanning, to further diagnose and plan treatment for your individual case.
If you are considering dental implants, you may need to take extra precaution if you meet one of the following descriptions:
- You smoke on a regular basis.
- You have a history of existing medical conditions.
- You have a history of periodontal disease or bone loss.
- You are under the age of 20.
The surgical team at Oral Surgery Specialists of Atlanta has extensive experience and training in dental implant placement, and we are happy to share our expertise with you. If you think you may be a candidate for a dental implant and want to learn more about the procedure, we encourage you to visit our office for an initial consultation.